Thursday 20 October 2011

Book. It would be books, but it's only about one.

   So my time this week has been taken up with lots of reading. Not reading lots of books, but that's ok. The book I read was so spectacular! It was like reading Harry Potter for the first time. When I read Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone for the first time back in 1998, I was mesmerized. I thought that surely the book itself was magical. I looked the book over, trying to find out why such a plain paperback was so magical. I know now, that it wasn't the book that was magical, it was the story and the characters and being able to so easily imagine that I was a part of Harry Potter's world. Ever since reading that first book, I've felt that way about every other Harry Potter book. I always feel whenever I pick one up to read that something magical is about to happen. It makes a small town life exciting, and it always makes me wonder. So to get that kind of feeling with a new book as an almost adult was a big deal to me. I read this book slowly, well, slowly for me anyway, to savor that feeling for as long as possible. I don't know what it is about a great story, but I'm rather confident that I'd be happy to earn a degree in reading. Sadly, you can't earn a living by reading alone.
   The book that gave me such a feeling is A Discovery of Witches by Deborah Harkness. It's about witches, daemons, and vampires, all very exciting things to me. The story starts in the nearby Oxford at the Bodelian  Library with a witch named Diana Bishop. She unknowingly calls up lost manuscript, which sets off a reaction in the creature world. Soon, she meets Matthew de Clairmont, a vampire, and their adventure starts.
   I'd love to just write out an account of the story, but then the fun of reading the gigantic book would be gone. Read it, love it.

via

No comments:

Post a Comment