Saturday 21 April 2012

What what, the Church

   As a Catholic in the Bible Belt (that Bible would be the King James Bible Belt), there's a lot of people who think I'm damned as a Catholic and my personal favorite, "Do you believe in Jesus?"

  This is about to be a rant so if you'd like to read on about why I love being Catholic click through. If not, I'll be back with some good old Science Fiction books in no time.


  I like being Catholic because it was the church that Jesus told Peter to start here on Earth.

 I like being Catholic because the Mass is a big celebration, that ends with Communion.

  About Communion, I think it's brilliant. During the Mass during Communion, the bread and wine become the Body and Blood of Jesus. They transfigure during the blessing from bread and wine to the Body and Blood of Jesus. Communion is the best part of the whole Mass. Taking Communion is a big deal. When you take Communion as a Catholic we believe that all of your sins have been forgiven. A good reason to go to Mass every week, or every day if you can. Especially if you have a hard time making it to Confession more than every 5 years. I'm sad to say that I fall into that Confession every 5 years group. Time to make time to go!

     I love being Catholic because of all these reasons. I think that it is the best way to get in touch with my faith in Jesus, God, and the Holy Spirit. I also think that society has a long way to go before it can say that the Church isn't a damnable offense.
 

  Some things that bug me:

  "Why do you go to church with child molesters?" I don't.  Not all priests are closeted homosexuals that have lustful thoughts for young boys. In fact, out of all the priests I've known, none of them have been like that. And I have met a lot of priests.

 "Do you believe in Jesus?" or "You don't believe in Jesus." Yes, I do believe in Jesus. The Catholic Church was the first Christian church. All the other churches have branched out and away from the Church, but every Christian started out as Catholic. Jesus himself told Peter to start this church, so yes, we do Jesus.

  "Why can't non-Catholics take Communion?" That would be because you aren't baptized in the church, haven't had first Communion, and don't believe that Communion becomes the Body and Blood of Christ. No belief, no Communion. If you would like to take part, you are welcome to go forward for a blessing. But no Communion until you become Catholic. Every Catholic Church offers RCIA (Rite of Christian Initiation in Adults) classes.

   "Are you saved?" Saved? We don't do that. I'm still not really clear on what being "saved" is. I know that I am baptized and have confirmed my faith and belief in Jesus, God, the Holy Spirit and the Church.

  "Why were you baptized as a baby?" I was baptized as a baby to wash away Original Sin.
  "But you didn't get to choose to be baptized." No I didn't, but I chose to be confirmed. When I was confirmed I said that I believe in Jesus and accept Him as the Savior of the World.

  "Why do you worship Mary?" We don't worship Mary. We recognize that she was a vital part in bringing Jesus to Earth. She gave birth to him, nursed him, and raised him. Without her love and care, there wouldn't have been a Jesus. We pray to her to ask her to pray with us or for us. She's like a best friend with really good connections.

 "Why don't you read the NIV or King James versions of the Bible?" Those Bibles are missing several books. The Catholic Bible is not missing any books, and we like to be thorough.

   "What is the big deal about the Pope?" The Pope is our direct connection to the Holy Spirit. He's elected by the Cardinals in an unanimous, secret vote. The vote is inspired by the Holy Spirit to the Cardinals. It's a very complicated process.

  Catholics, we're just like you only with the Catechism (the book that lists the beliefs of the Church, that is Biblically backed) and the Pope and a hierarchy and a bigger Bible and a lot of tradition.

Now, if you know me in real life, please don't tell me I'm a horrible person because I'm Catholic or that I'm going to Hell because I'm Catholic (I have a feeling that several people I know, even some family members, think this)

Next time, read about the end of the Uglies trilogy.

3 comments:

  1. Hi there! I originally came over to say thanks for doing my book challenge, but then I also wanted to say thank you for writing this. I usually stay away from topics of faith on my blog because I feel like it is so polarizing and very difficult to write about, but as a Catholic, I share these frustrations. My favorite: "I'm not Catholic, I'm Christian." Excuse me? Catholics ARE Christians. In fact, we were the FIRST Christians. If you're going to claim you're a Christian, at least know the history of the religion. That's all. :)

    Thanks again for participating! And I loved the Uglies; I can't wait to read your review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so excited for the book challenge!! I'm doing some re-reads to hold off on the serious book list I have to read. :)
      I figured I'd tuck away the parts that people who wouldn't want to read it that way they wouldn't be bothered.

      I love the Uglies so far! I can't wait to finish up Specials, hopefully this weekend!! :)

      Delete
  2. I totally understand what you are saying. I have family members attack me for what I believe and it is very hurtful.

    Just know that I love you and am proud that you have a faith that is real and personal to you. Don't worry about what haters say- they are either ignorant or they have been hurt by others and are lashing out at you for it.

    ReplyDelete