Tuesday 24 April 2012

About the Gods

  Really, it's about gods. Not of the Greek or Roman variety either. More of the Norse and African and Egyptian gods and a bevy of others.




  Naturally, I read American Gods by Neil Gaiman. The best line in this whole book was about how Jesus was in Afghanistan and couldn't even hitch a line. If I could remember it, I would quote its entirety, but my copy is in my room. My room is too faraway to walk to for just a line from a book.

  American Gods should be required reading. It is amazing. I could go on about how wondrous it is, but that could get boring.





  The story starts off in prison with Shadow about to be released after a 3 year stay. I'm of the opinion that he shouldn't have gone to prison, but he's also not real. It's hard to remember that fictional characters aren't real; sometimes the world just isn't fair, fictional characters shouldn't be fictional sometimes. Voldemort should stay fictional though.

   So Shadow is in prison and gets out a few days early since his wife has died. It's on the plane ride home that he meets Mr. Wednesday, and if you're really into Norse mythology you'll know that Wednesday= Woden's Day and that Woden=Odin. But, I digress. Shadow meets Wednesday and gets pulled into a war he didn't even know was happening.

   The story focuses mostly on Shadow, but there are several stories thrown in (and thrown in really well) told about other people in completely different times. These stories are important in knowing about the gods and how they came to America.

  If I write about it too much there'll be no need for you to read it. Definitely read it. Go to your local bookstore or library and get it. Read it. You won't be disappointed. Unless you're not a fan of gods and fantasy and such.

  Also, don't read it if you're under the age of 14. It's an adult book, and there are some adult scenes.

No comments:

Post a Comment