Saturday 31 March 2012

Just Read

   My goal for this year is to read as many new books as I can. That means books that I have never read before. So far, I think I'm doing ok. I would be doing better, but I keep going back to books I've already ready; somehow, re-reading old books keeps me from getting to new books fast. Weird.



   This is what I've read most recently. The Art of Fielding by Chad Harbach. If I could only use one word to describe this book, it would be beautiful. It is written like a dream. The story is great, the writing even better. If I could read this book over and over again, I would, and I probably will since I own a copy. Libraries and I just don't get along. It's actually cheaper for me to buy books than to borrow them.


   The story starts out with Henry Skrimshander, a recent high school graduate at a local league baseball game. He can't hit the ball to save his life, but when he gets out on the field behind the pitcher at shortstop it's like he's a baseball pro. He never misses, and makes plays look like child's play. He is the best shortstop that the "scout" has ever seen. This "scout" is a player on the Westish (get it, they're in Wisconsin, which is west, but not really. So Wisconsin is West-ish. HA!) baseball team, and he wants Henry.
   Westish gets Henry added to their baseball roster, and from there he helps their miserable team get better and better. Until one game, when Henry and four people close to him change after a game mishap. It only gets better from there. There's a high school dropout, a college president, Henry's roommate, and the "scout."
   The Art of Fielding is definitely worth the time it takes to read a book, even if you're like me and don't care at all about sports.

No comments:

Post a Comment